In 2018, Haifa Ghandour started her MASS AWIS presidential term with a very specific objective in mind: to provide effective and affordable leadership development opportunities for women in science. She recruited Dr. Angeliki Diane Rigos and Dr. Cheryl Vaughan to help develop and launch the inaugural program, which was run from January to June in 2019. They continue to serve as program directors and committee co-chairs.
In line with the MASS AWIS mission, the Leadership Program provides professional development to women in STEM. The program is designed for women in early- and mid-career stages and serves to further enhance the benefits of MASS AWIS membership. Additionally, the program aims to:
- Build leadership skills and professional presence
- Create a strong network of program alumnae
In the workplace, becoming an effective leader requires a set of perspectives, skills, and responsibilities that can be very challenging to master without training.
The Leadership Program consists of:
- 16 hours of classroom training; time commitment is 3-4 hours once or twice a month on Tuesday evenings 6 pm – 8 pm, from the end of January through May.
- Check out the meeting topics here: AWIS_LEADERSHIP_2022
- The workshops are developed and primarily facilitated by Dr. Angeliki Diane Rigos, with contributions from guest speakers and other volunteer facilitators as needed.
- Discussion topics include: understanding self/others, communication skills, conflict management, building influence, negotiation, and creating teams.
- Program sessions are discussion-based and activity-driven.
- Readings, assessments, and exercises are distributed prior to each session. Additional readings on relevant material will be recommended, and peer learning will be available through a discussion forum with the cohort.
Leadership Program 2022
- All program participants must be members of MASS AWIS (Join now!).
- Enrollment is limited to 25 participants.
- Each applicant will be notified of their status within the program by January 17, 2022.
- Upon acceptance pay a program fee of $150.
- Applicants who do not make it into the program due to size restrictions are encouraged to apply again the following year.
Ready to apply? Specific dates and topics offered in our 2022 program are listed in the application. The program does fill up, so sign up early if you are interested in participating!
Apply here for the Leadership Program – Deadline January 10, 2022.
Still have more questions about the Leadership Program?
Please feel free to contact the Leadership Committee Chair: Angeliki Diane Rigos.
In 2022, MASS AWIS is also offering a Leadership Component for Women of Color in association with our Leadership Program. Note that you do not have to be in the Leadership Program to attend the Leadership component for Women of Color events. For more information on these free virtual events, please see: https://massawis.org/mass-awis-leadership-positioning-component-for-women-of-color/
This event series is exclusive to MASS AWIS members registered with National AWIS, with paid Massachusetts chapter dues or a MASS AWIS student chapter member.
Join MASS AWIS today for access to this series and other exclusive opportunities.